Tuesday, October 21, 2008

**ON MY SOAPBOX! My Rant on the Food Industry!**








Every once in awhile something I read or see on T.V. or hear on the radio gets my blood to come close to a full boil. When this happens, I need to get it out. Since I am not a violent man, the next best thing is to put a post together in my blog. Well, today is that day; at least for awhile until the next thing comes along. Today I read an article from Yahoo.com about what the Food Industry does NOT want us to know. It was a great article about how even the junk food companies are stating that they are starting to "steer kids away" from bad choices and more towards "healthier choices" when it comes to food. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? If anyone believes that they are trying to steer away kids from their junk food products; a population that these companies make their living off of; I have some swamp land i can sell you cheap! Childhood obesity rates are astronomically high; doctors, nurses, medical professionals, are seeing kids as young as 2-4years old with weight problems; and THESE companies are saying they are steering kids away?? Here is a quote from the article:


"Food giant PepsiCo, for example, points out on its website, that 'we can play an important role in helping kids lead healthier lives by offering healthy product choices in schools.' The company highlights what it considers its healthier products within various food categories through a 'Smart-Spot Campaign that features green symbols on packaging."


There is no arguing that we as a society need to eat healthier. There is no argument here. especially in our children, do we need to have them eating healthier foods, exercising more and getting off the proverbial "couch potato" lifestyle of watching too much television and playing WAY too many hours of video games! (Sidenote: video games are also on my "ranting radar" but will save that for another day). Healthier living is what we need to enphasize and it does NOT need to come from the hypocites that run the junk food companies! Check out this video below about what is going on.Click and Paste this in your browser:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10249794&ch=4226723&src=news


We are a society that is literally "killing" our kids with bad eating habits and we need to stop it now. I am a parent and I try to instil in my son healthy eating habits and exercise almost on a daily basis because it was instilled in me from my mother. My sister and I grew up with a mother WAY ahead of her time when it came to healthy eating. She was always getting low to non fat foods; making sure we had fresh fruits and vegetables; low sugar intake; scraping fat off of foods that she prepared; etc. This back in the early 1970's! And exercise?? She always had us outside playing games and sports and riding bikes ALL THE TIME! Why should this be any different now?? There are so many kids as well as adults who need to lose weight. Not only for better health but, in some cases, to SAVE THEIR LIVES!

Being a healthy parent is crucial and to hear that junk food companies are trying to get away from marketing prooducts to kids; the very kids that keep these giants in business; is laughable! We need to get our kids eating healthier foods and getting our information from more credible sources rather than the very companies that sell junk food to anyone and everyone that they can.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave to get this out of my system. I feel much better and I think I can go on with the rest of my day in a calm and cool manner. At least until the next issue comes by to get me boiling again.

If you would like to read the article that has gotten me all up in arms; CLICK HERE NOW!




** WANT TO EAT HEALTHIER AND LOSE WEIGHT?** CLICK HERE TODAY!



No comments: